- All transfers of blood components will be done through the dedicated blood bank computer system Medinfo Hematos IIG.
- Only units passing all donation criteria including testing and processing will be eligible for transfer.
- Each unit must have a final ISBT label attached.
- Quarantined units will be discarded through Medinfo at the blood processing site.
- Units will be transferred in temperature controlled and monitored, validated containers.
- Upon receipt, the ABO forward and D type of the transferred RBC units will be repeated at the first hospital blood bank.
- Subsequent transfers between hospital blood banks do not require repeat ABO/D typings.
- Each unit will be inspected for leaks and physical appearance (e.g. clots, leaks, discoloration).
- Only units whose temperature monitoring passes criteria for transit shall be used.
- The specific transfer algorithms will be programmed into the Hematos IIG software.
- All variances will be reviewed by the supervisor and a transfusion medicine physician.
- All policies, processes, and procedures must comply with Qatari, HMC, and applicable accreditation standards (i.e. AABB, CAP, and JCI).
- HMC 1001 Setting Specification, Version 1.5, Hematos IIG, Medinfo
- Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services, Current Edition, AABB, Bethesda, Maryland, USA