Process: Donor Collection
Zeyd Merenkov, MD, FCAP, FASCP
Independent Consultant in Transfusion Medicine
5.4.1 PROCESS DONOR COLLECTION:
- Donors must pass and complete all previous processes in the donor workflow (registration, questionnaire, and physical examination) before the collection process begins.
- The donor is positively identified by a designated picture ID and Hematos donor consent form with specimen/encounter number and barcode.
- Donor staff checks and prepares a suitable vein
- Donor staff collects/labels specimens and the whole blood or apheresis components AT THE DONOR’S BEDSIDE.
- Donor reactions are assessed and treated as they occur.
- Donors are observed in a post-donation area and given post-donation instructions before discharge.
- All processes are documented in Hematos IIG.
- Donor units and specimens are sent to component processing and donor marker testing.
- The collection workstation and equipment are cleaned before starting a new donor collection.
- HMC 1001 Setting Specification, Version 1.5, Hematos IIG, Medinfo
- Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services, Current Edition, AABB, Bethesda, Maryland, USA