This is an updated set of donor deferral rules based on US FDA CBER guidances for body fluid exposures, blood components, and exposure to COVID-19 convalescent plasma CCP.
- We will accept donors AFTER THREE MONTHS from the following activities:
- HIJAMA (ritual blood-letting)
- Body piercing (e.g. piercing for ear-rings)
- Contact with blood of another individual through percutaneous inoculation such as a needle stick or through contact with a donor’s open wound or mucous membranes
- Transfusion of a blood component, including COVID-19 convalescent plasma
- Transfusion of clotting factors cases should be reviewed by the Transfusion Medicine Physician.
- Revised Recommendations for Reducing the Risk of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transmission by Blood and Blood Products, Guidance for Industry, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, April 2020
- Updated Information for Blood Establishments Regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic and Blood Transfusion, CBER, US FDA, 19/1/21
- AABB Summary: Donation of CCP and Blood Components Following COVID-19 Vaccines or CCP Transfusion, 14/12/20