The Transfusion Medicine Physician needs certain minimal information to make a medical/clinical assessment and decide what action needs to be taken.
- Before contacting the transfusion medicine physician, please obtain the following:
- Clinical diagnosis
- Transfusion history
- Medication history
- In the case of transfusion reactions, follow Interim Policy Transfusion Reaction Workup and be certain to include the following information before contacting:
- Vital signs (BP, pulse, temperature, respiratory rate) both pre- and post-transfusion
- Clinical symptoms (e.g. rash, urticaria, fever, respiratory distress, etc.)
- Pre-transfusion DAT if post-transfusion DAT is positive.
- Donor Unit DAT and eluate on the post-transfusion specimen if the post-transfusion DAT is positive and pre-transfusion negative.
- Eluate on the post-transfusion specimen if both the pre- and post-transfusion DAT are positive.