Use of anti-retroviral therapy as prophylaxis for pre- or post-exposure (PrP or PEP) HIV prophylaxis may lower the viral load below detectable levels.
- Defer any donor taking PrP or PEP anti-retroviral ART medications for three (3) months since the last dose.
- Donors taking ART drugs as treatment for HIV infection are still indefinitely deferred.
- Donor information pamphlets should be updated to include this new deferral.
- AABB Association Bulletin #4, The Impact on Blood Safety of Effective Antiretroviral Medications for HIV Prevention and Treatment, 5/5/20
- DHQ Medical Deferral List, Version 2.1, AABB, Bethesda, MD, USA, June 2020