In my career, I have dealt with many different laboratory software vendors. Regretfully, not all encounters have been straight-forward.
Things that bother me:
- Current state: whoever prepared it for the client, didn’t care or understand the local processes and came up with a generic: order it, collect it, receive it, do it, report it for each and every test
- No training for super users: more like lambs being led to the slaughter
- No discussion of options: pushing client to take the default settings
- Corrections to build: only giving one shot to do it right, further corrections cost $$
- Scenarios: vendor shows specially crafted scenarios that “work” but when you ask the vendor to do a random, non-scripted scenario, it crashes
- Scalability: limited scalability on client’s chosen platform
- Reference site does not match the test volume or activities of the client, uses different platform, and thus cannot be compared
I will give further examples in upcoming posts.